The global concept for this new combustion system is based on the following key characteristics:
· Breakthrough combustion system
o Ultra-lean mixtures
o H2 boosting
o Pre-chamber ignition system
o Optimized intake ports
o Smart coatings
· Optimized NOx after-treatment systems
· Optimized base engine
· “Ultra-lean” mixtures enhanced by H2 addition and advanced ignition system.
· Very high tumble motion to support the turbulence formation and the combustion process.
· Heat insulation thanks to specific coatings.
· High stroke-to-bore ratio.
· High compression ratio (above 12:1).
· Miller approach.
A combination of these different engine technologies allow to lower the losses and consequently to increase the efficiency.